Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sub-cultured sans smiles

Looking around the room of students who Tuesday night's French class beheld, people from many different sub-cultures returned my gaze. There was the retired traveller learning French for his next destination; Paris, the young commerce graduate; bringing a fresh outlook and bilingual sector to the position he recently undertook in a large company, the university guru; middle aged and still thriving on academic excellence while tip toeing into languages to stamp some more letters behind her name, etc. etc. etc. Every person from separate realms; each taking French for some reason within that world, none as common ground. As I sat in my chair thinking about the individuals beside and across from me, I became unusually intrigued with each of their lives. It's a shame, but the truth is that it is rare that I find myself in a group of people that lead a life completely unsynchronized with my own. I am enjoying it and despite the fact that the mid-class break chats are far more than slightly ackward, I find myself savoring each Tuesday night. Not that I particularly enjoy meeting new people because honestly I don't, yet strangely the anxiety of meeting people has been largely reduced, I would assume as a result of the lack of pretenciousness within the group. There is no need to impress and certainly nothing to prove. I can only dream of that being the case on site of other first hello's.

On a completely un-related note, summer is almost here and my cravings for bare legs are getting worse everyday. I subside them by looking down and realizing that these legs should be quivering in fear of being revealed to the world. Ah well, they will just have to stand strong against the judgemental eye from the first to the last day of summer. Hopefully by the last day they will have gained some pigment.

I can't seem to shake my meloncholly mood this week, fearfully I'll admit it is seemingly irreversible. Hopefully I'll admit I'm banking on the possibility that my good spirits will have bloomed by Saturday, if they are missing, beer will have to guide my smile and we don't want that now, do we? No, we actually really don't.
A la prochaine,
Boss (dubbed by the paper man)

1 comment:

Jonarkle said...

New People, New Languages, New Layout! Look at this, those "new tactics" from your last post must have inspired you to try to broaden things as well... granted the new languages bit isn't exactly true... and meeting new people isn't quite as bold as the guts it takes to tell a passerby they are *quote* "extremely gorgeous", however I needed some sort of way to throw the word "New" into this comment as many times as I new I possibly could.