Thursday, April 10, 2008

New Tactics

Walking to and from Safeway on a close to daily basis, I have come across, as I'm sure many have, the regular street workers in my area. There is one man in particular, whose social skills are far above par, that I am continually baffled by. With a greeting such as "Good evening Ma'am" and as I most often decline his polite request for spare change, he concludes his rehearsed dialogue with "Have a wonderful evening ma'am". Because of the employment that I have, I can not say that I understand why this civilized gentleman has not yet found employment. Unfortunately, it as recently come to my apparently naive attention that this IS his employment of choice. Apparently this man can not find it in himself to test the waters of over the table income. 'Tis surely a shame.

Yesterday with newly purchased yogurt and apples in my cloth grocery bag on my shoulder, this bearded man and I crossed paths while both of us were on route to our regular stations; me to my home, him to his guard in front of Movie Village. Typically he, being five feet from me, started his speech;

"Spare a little change Ma'am?"

"No, sorry."

"No problem, have a wonderful evening Ma'am"

"Thanks, you too"

I had only stopped walking for a brief moment for this short conversation, so after it was over I continued walking and assumed he had resumed speed aswell. I had only taken one step onward before I was stopped by his voice once again;

"Oh and ma'am?"

I turned my head back towards him again,

"You are extremely gorgeous"

"Thanks," I turned back towards my home assuming he would also continue,

"I really mean it ma'am"

I didn't turn towards him for that last remark. Is this some sort of new tactic for him? I see him at least once, often twice a day and I suppose it has been quite some time since I have given him any spare change. He assumably thought that a compliment of sorts would do the trick to turn my decline into nickels. His loss, I guess, it defintely did not score him even pennies from this lady.

Oh the ways of the world, I will continue to learn of them linearly and, in due time, will over come my naivety.

Sincerely,
V.

No comments: