Monday, September 17, 2007

Peach Plum Pear

Well... Not really. More like banana, nectarine, apple... But peach, plum, pear sounds better - thanks to you Miss Joanna Newsom.

IF you know me even in the most minimal proportion, you would know that apples are among my top five favorite foods, if not my top. I do love a lot of food though, so it's tough to say what pulls rank on what. I do guarantee though, I would choose to eat an apple far before I'd choose to eat much else. You MAY quote me on that. However, I do enjoy a good specialty fruit every now and then to spice up my life. In discussing my adoration for apples not too long ago, I was trying to decide if apples were just my favorite because they are easy to grab and eat, and they are always available therefore causing me to eat them in mass quantities OR if I eat them so terribly often out of pure delight; a recurring craving for such a delicious fruit. Though the person I was discussing this with at the time gave no thought to the question a mere 10 seconds after being proposed, I was stumped and remained so subconsiously until today.

Fridge = bare.
Bank account = empty.
Carb count for the day = too high to say.
Hunger level = sky rocketing.

Keeping these things in mind, I was a little bit nervous about what I was going to eat for lunch today. I would have loved to have honey toast, my most recent infatuation buttttt I ate it for supper last night and then again for breakfast this morning so I thought that I should give my ass a break from it's continous state of growth and switch things up. Walking into Safeway my intent was to buy three apples for lunch. You may or may not be laughing right now but it's not a rare situation for me to eat three apples at one time. Anyways, getting into the produce department I was feeling adventurous and to keep this story short, upon exit my purse was filled with one royal gala apple, the biggest, yellowest, least green banana and one mostly red, semi-soft nectarine. No I am not a thief; stashing the un-purchased fruit in my purse... I don't like to use plastic bags. All of these choices should have been successes. A big yellow banana, appearing ready to be eaten, a red nectarine - not too hard but not mushy, and an apple (the galas at Safeway are rarely mushy). Boy was I mistaken. The banana turned out to be too un-ripe to even peel fully. The part that I was able to peel tasted like starch and the nectarine was a good texture I suppose but had NO flavour. The apple, my dear friends, was perfect. Crisp, juicy and flavourful; a refreshment.

So today my problem was solved, my question answered and my heart put at ease. Apples really are my favorite fruit for more reasons than I can describe. It is so reliably yummy; trusty in flavour. You can always count on an apple. If you have managed to stay awake through this unendingly boring blog, I would offer you an apple as a celebration for them being so good and you being so loyal... But I won't. I'll just write a better blog next time.

Over and out.

4 comments:

tiffany said...

i read it. i also think read should be spelled red like it is pronounced, instead of read, like, i like to read.
anyways. me love you long time. are we still going to tegan and sara on the 3rd? lost season 3 episode 1 is done for sure, and 2 is almost done.
you are a treat, better than pie or an apple (to me).

kNate said...

Hey, peep my new Top 5 blog. Your in it!

Anonymous said...

ok...so you don't actually know me....and i have no legitimate reason for reading your blog. BUT i'm friends with brit...and i was curious as to what her super cool roommate might be like...so i may or may not have browsed through what you've written recently...and i just wanted to say, that i wholeheartedly support your loyalty to the apple. i LOVE apples. and for that EXACT reason...they're sooooo dependable. and easy. and deeeelicious. i probably eat 2 or 3 a day....and i don't regret it one bit. i think they are a lovely choice, and i fully endorse your continued love of this beautiful, beautiful fruit. my sincerest greetings from ontario.

- amy

Brittany said...

you know what?
i read this blog a while ago, and i thought of it today.
when i grabbed an apple on my way to the bus.
granny smith... amazing.
(just like you. i love that you eat so many apples. with chesse.)