Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The latest at General Scrap...

So as all of you know, my current employment lies at General Scrap.... unfortunately. To re-cap, I arrive to a dark office, shut off the alarm, turn on the lights, brew the coffee and sit down at my computer, such as I am doing right now, for about 1.5 hours until the next person gets here.

This morning things haven't really gone that smoothly though.

Seeing as it is 6:30 in the morning and usually when I get to my office door I have been recently awoken from a 15 minute nap compliments of the smooth roads and gentle rurring of the lovely public transportation that so humbly carries me from Glenway to Portage Avenue every day... or not at all yet I still manage to fall asleep, without fail, chaque matin.

So this morning I get on my bus, fall asleep, get off, get some coffee at 2nd cup because I'm actually feeling extra tired, and head up to my office. I sit down on the ground, rummage through my purse, eventually find my keys and open the door. I turn to my right, open the alarm panel and then I freeze... It hits me that I, for no apparent reason, forget my alarm code today. So I, idiotically, punch in something that is somewhat like the code, but is actually two numbers off and then the siren starts BLARING. It actually sounds like a police siren however, for my listening pleasure, it is right inside my office.

I bust out of my office scrounge in my purse, once again, for my authorization number with the phone number to the alarm company and of course, my cell phone. I frantically phone the company and am like,

"Hi!! I set off the alarm in my office!!"

The dispatcher replies completely monotone, "Your name and address please."

I give it to her.

"Your authorization number please."

I give that to her too.

"Actually we don't have your address or authorization number on file. Are you sure you have the right alarm company?"

So at this point I'm mostly freaking out who knows why, I'm clearly not attempting to rob General Scrap, but I just feel panicky... I think it was the blaring siren that was still ultra loud even from behind a closed door.

"Yes, I am sure," I reply to her.

"Okay, I'll try again."

... waiting...

"Okay, what was your number again?"

I give it to her but I'm like frik lady, could you take any longer? The cops are going to roll in any second. My imagination went slightly wild here and pictured cops storming up the stairs with their guns drawn and little me curled up against the wall outside of the office on the phone with the damn alarm operator.... she would have gotten an earfull, I'll tell you that much.

Anyways, after a little while her mood finally lightens and she's like "Okay everythings alright!"

... but the siren is still going...

Little did I know, all I had to do was punch in the right code and it would turn off... so I did just that and sure enough, it worked like a charm.

Now I'm sitting at my desk, wide awake, but still glad to have coffee, not so glad, however, that I work at General Scrap and that I unintentionally escalated my heart rate for the entire day, I'm sure.

...

What would you do for a ching-dong-woo? Would you... work at General Scrap, start at 6:30, set off the alarm, and then be bored all day? ... After much consideration... No.. I don't think that I would... not even for a ching-dong-woo.

2 comments:

chris.siemens. said...

p.s. cops dont come anymore unless 2 zones trip, or a guard service can verify that there has been an intentional break in. just for next time lol. no need to imagine cops wantin to shoot you up!

but sounds like a rough wake up! QUIT!

vanessa said...

Oh Chrissy-poo.

Of course you would offer concrete advice about alarms. I actually just laughed out loud at that comment.

Thanks for the info though... I might research alarms a LITTLE bit more just in case ;)

<3