Thursday, July 26, 2007

Severe Thunderstorm

Last night there was a downpour. Did I take advantage of the unfortunate weather to get out of working? Of course I did.

At 3pm one of my bosses asked... no, more like begged me to work from 6-9pm. This job was, on bike, a 40 minute trek (I know because I did it on Monday). She had asked me earlier in the morning and I said no due to the fact that I didn't really want to take my bike there in the scorching heat once again, but later in the day as she re-iterated her desperation for me to take this job, I reconsidered and decided to help the woman out. This was only under the condition that if I couldn't find a way home, she would come pick me up. What I didn't know was that there was a "severe thunderstorm warning" for the late afternoon and evening ahead of me.

Around 4pm the clouds started brewing overhead and my level of positivity towards this job, although it didn't start at a very high level, was decreasing at a linear speed. I got off work at 4:30, speed-raced home, looked out the window and made an executive decision that I should not take my bike because I would die. Yes, death would most definitely ensue following the trek, via bicycle in, the severe thunderstorm... that hadn't started yet. I headed up to the 6th floor and put my sister's mac to use while I navigo'd the way to Berry street. The bus times didn't really line up for the way home so I called my boss and told her straight up I would for sure need a ride home because the bus times didn't suit the job and I didn't want to wait in the creepy neighborhood for half an hour afterwards to go home... not to mention it might be storming. She said that was fine, gave me her cell number and the conversation was done.

Seconds later it started. The rain started pelting and the golden boy, the Forks bridge, AND the revolving restaurant disappeared in front of my eyes while the tree in front of my building fell over. Well, it didn't really... but like... My sister and I, at the time, decided that it was 100% going to fall over... so at the time... it was basically done. Our jaws literally dropped and like little children raced from window to window yelling out the bi-second updates on the haps through the different views of her apartment. I won't lie, it was quite entertaining and we even had a stationary bag of grapes at one of the windows for mid-entertainment snacking. Life was good... except for the fact that I was supposed to get out from under my shelter and brave the storm to get to a job that I, quite honestly, did not want to do.

At this point, my sister took her stance as the older, more mature, decision maker extroardinaire and told me firmly that I was not leaving the building because a tree might fall on me. At that moment I got a little bit scared for my roomate and my boyfriend that were both apparently outside so I texted them telling them to be safe and... not get hit by trees. So, I picked up the phone, a little bit apprehensive to call and cancel work due to the weather... but I mean... Ya do what ya gotta do right? After a couple of tries to my boss, and my sister standing beside me forcing me to keep trying, I finally got ahold of her and nervously told her the situation of the weather and walking to the bus stops and blahblahblah... "I'm scared to go outside". Then I waited for her response and MUCH to my delight her response was "Oh my god don't even worry about going at all, I'm on the 24th floor of the TD building and I'm so scared of the storm right now." Seriously surprised by this I decided to run with it, "Yeah... Me too!!... and the tree outside my building is about to fall over!"

And that was it. Deal = Sealed. I was totally released from my commitment to a lame semi-tele-marketing-esque job that I was really not looking forward to. Much more ooh-ing and ahh-ing continued while my sister and I stood by the windows, watched the storm, ate grapes, and laughed about how much we said "severe thunderstorm" and how I used the tree almost falling over as a device to get out of work... even though it didn't end up falling over at all. It was a good time. I love my sister a really lot. Like a REALLY lot... Bff. Right Lise? Bff right?

Anyways... thus concludes the story of the severe thunderstorm.
Over and out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish we had a thunderstorm like that here in the Okanagan. We had something similar... but it only lasted a few hours one afternoon. And I was ALREADY AT WORK. But it made for a good day of puddle... floating.

Glad to know your officially back.