Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Mennonite Remembrance Day

What I wrote but kept to myself last year on the day after Remembrance Day:

"Yesterday was November 11th, the date countries of the Commonwealth celebrate, or mourn rather, all those who our countries have lost to war. At the eleventh hour, on the eleventh day and in the eleventh month, this year I spent cutting squares of delightfully sweetened treats, arranging butter cubes on plates, and mixing a large vat of virgin cocktail with star shaped ice in punch bowls. I have to admit that thoughts of soldiers, poppies or the tragedy of war steered clear of my train of pre-occupied thoughts. It was our "Peters Clan" Christmas celebration yesterday, and celebrate we sure did. Over-eating, carol singing and a lot of smiling, are all tell-tale signs of a Mennonite gathering, and yesterday our funciton included it all. To be fair, there were two poppies present yesterday, both sported by men with no traces of Russian, German, or Dutch blood. These men were lucky enough to marry a Mennonite lady, and apparently were uninformed regarding out stance on war and Remembrance Day, though I myself have never connected my pacifist heritage with the solemness of Remembrance Day. They have always co-existed peacefully, in true Mennonite fashion. Now that I'm aware that they clash, a re-assessment is in order."

Funny, my internal debate about Remembrance Day is still in full effect. I chose not to wear a poppy this year because I was still unsure. I also opted out of the Peters Clan Christmas which fell again on November 11, annually on November 11. What a funny life.

V. xo

No comments: