Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hanging in {update}

It is funny how one day you can feel as though you are complete control of your life and that you are on top of your school life and beyond, and the next day you can feel one hundred percent the opposite. Story of my life. This past week has been one of nose blowing, sore eyes, excitement and short nights. Let me explain: On Sunday night I started feeling sick but of course was at the restaurant and was there the next night as well. Tuesday my eldest sister birthed a beautiful and tiny little lady named Nina. Wednesday I had a book report due. Thursday I knew I had an ear infection as well as a cold oh, and a business presentation.. In French. By Friday I was spent, tired, at the walk in clinic, taking antibiotics and ready for a snooze. What a week. The weekend has most definitely redeemed it. Spending time with the bestest of friends with all of our favourite treats (mint chocolate chip ice cream, wine gums, ddp and creamy dill chips... yes, an overload but we deserved it), listening to and admiring Sarah Harmer, family dinner, lunch with seemingly long lost dear friends, getting well and lastly trying out a new church. It was Anglican, academic, simple and exactly what this weary heart needed.

In school I am taking a Mennonite Studies class and it is proving to be very interesting and thought provoking. I have just finished, or rather am still finishing (though I already wrote the report...) a book about early Anabaptist women. Something that the author points out is that Anabaptism was the "religion of the peasants", that Anabaptism grew among the simple-minded. This has been very intersting to me, as sometimes I feel that evangelican churches lack an academic aspect. That they put such strong value on emotions and basic fundamental values that they leave out discussion, theology and even doubt. One of my best friends has been luring Landen and I to his home church, St. Margaret's, for quite some time. Today we accompanied him and the pastor spoke about repentance from a logical and historical perspective and I felt that something clicked in my brain. Perhaps I have spent too many years at university to appreciate anything other than critical thinking, but it was refreshing to go to a church and have the pastor not tear up, to have notes from a paper written by a university professor and to recite the Apostle's Creed as a congregation. I have heard people say that some people know too much for their own good, that is absolutely not me, studying French doesn't exactly make you a wise person, but I do feel that my university education has changed what I look for in a church and the way that I want to and view growing as a human and a Christian. The evangelical church has absolutely made me feel that thinking and being a Christian are not compatible but today at a fellow protestant gathering, I felt as though I wanted to learn more and that was right. I think we will go back next week.

For tonight, I will finish my book and head to bed. Monday comes so fast these days.

Love, V. xo

P.S. This is a picture of Landy and I before Sarah Harmer, so excited. She was so sweet, hilarious, wonderful and, forgive my star-struckness but oh so cool.

No comments: